Varicose veins are also called spider veins and they appear on the surface of skin. Veins are the medium for blood to flow from outer parts of the body back to lungs and heart. When the veins become abnormally enlarged, thick with twists and turns, they are known as varicose vein. They can mostly be seen in things and legs. However, they are visible on other parts of the body. They become more visible with age. It is important to pay heed and get the varicose veins treatment well on time.
Causes of varicose veins
Some of the medical experts claim that it is an inherited health problem. Some of the other reasons for varicose veins are explained below:
- Pregnancy is one of the reasons when the varicose veins start to appear on the surface of skin. The added weight of growing uterus and body put pressure on the legs of a female. The levels of progesterone and estrogens also contribute to the development of varicose veins.
- If you are standing at work or otherwise for a long time, you are prone to varicose veins.
- Overweight or obesity is another reason why you may have varicose veins.
- Some of the medical conditions also contribute to this medical issue such as chronic constipation, chronic cough, and urinary retention from an enlarged prostate and others that cause a human being to strain for prolonged time may cause varicose veins. This is because; more pressure is transmitted to the legs.
- Leg surgery and age also are causes of varicose veins.
Treatment options for varicose veins
It is important to know when you need the treatment to cure varicose veins. It is the right time to get in touch with a healthcare provider if you observe below mentioned conditions:
- Unexplainable pain and swelling on the legs. It may indicate a blood clot in the leg.
- Discolouration, ulceration and inflammation of the skin or swelling in calf or legs.
The varicose veins are generally harmless and do not indicate the presence of blood clot. If you experience more problems along with varicose veins, you must visit your family doctor. He will be able to analyse your condition and suggest the most appropriate varicose veins treatment.
One of the treatment options to reduce the effects of varicose veins is Sclerotherapy. However, it may not be one of the best treatment options because it is not completely successful. Some of the complications associated with this treatment are permanent discolouration of skin, burning of skin and allergy from chemical used.
Lasers are also used to treat the varicose veins. They smaller varicose veins can successfully be treated with the help of this technique. However, the bigger ones may not get treated properly with this technique. The colour and texture of the skin may be altered after treated with lasers.
If you start to see presence of varicose veins on the surface of the skin, you must get in touch with your healthcare provider. He can suggest the best varicose veins treatment.