Photo by Myriam, CC0 1.0
Colostrum is the initial milk that nursing mothers create to feed their young. It is full of proteins, fat-soluble vitamins, minerals, and antibodies. Colostrum is extremely beneficial to young infants because of all the amazing nutrients. A few days after birth, colostrum is replaced by breast milk.
Cows and humans both make colostrum; humans are able to make colostrum supplement for humans from cow, bovine, colostrum. There are quite a few uses for colostrum supplements.
- Treating diarrhea
- Reducing levels of C-reactive protein in blood
- Prevent damage caused by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Used to treat distal colitis
- Enhance bone growth and development
- Reduce colonization of candida in bone marrow transplant patients
- Treating arthritis and auto-immune diseases
- Getting rid of ulcers
Benefits of Bovine Colostrum
There are any reasons why humans may seek out colostrum supplements.
- Colostrum can increase energy. Athletes have used supplements to have additional energy during intense training.
- It is able to reduce the risk of upper respiratory infection.
- It is believed to heal and prevent Leaky Gut Syndrome, which is linked as a cause to many chronic diseases.
- Colostrum supplements can protect intestines from damage by NSAIDs. It is believed beneficial for ulcerative bowel conditions. In general, it is helpful for intestinal systems. Influenza starts in the intestinal tract, and taking colostrum supplements may help ward off the flu. It is known that the supplements can help treat chronic diarrhea in children and sick patients.
- Trials have used bovine supplements to treat AIDS-related diarrhea and bone marrow transplant recipients. The nutrients in bovine colostrum is able to neutralize bacterial toxins.
- Supplements help increase muscle density and burn more body fat. They will need to be taken in combination with regular exercise. Colostrum supplement also encourages muscle growth. Colostrum powder is commonly used by athletes, hoping to reap the benefits.
Colostrum supplements also helps the body recover from exercise. It is able to get the body back to previous performance levels by 20 minutes. Also, it can help reduce the possibility of heat strokes. This is so beneficial for those living in hot climates or runners during summer. Bovine colostrum reduces the chance of toxins entering your intestines during hard exercise.
- The athletes who get the most benefits from colostrum are those who want lean muscle mass such as triathletes, runners, kayakaers, and skiers.
- It may slow the effects of aging. Colostrum may help keep blood sugar levels maintained, which is beneficial for the brain. This is believed to help mental acuity and to brighten our moods. Also, it helps reduce the damage caused by toxins in our bodies.
- Many people take colostrum supplements to support the immune system. They are very beneficial to those who need to fight off infections and diseases. Some people, whether naturally or due to diseases, have low or weak immune systems; for them, colostrum supplements can maintain and support their immune system against many illnesses.
How Much Supplement to Take?
The amount of bovine supplement to take will differ from person to person. If you believe you aren’t seeing any results, increase your dosage. 2 capsules, or 1 tsp powder, is the recommended dose for adults. Many experts suggest 4 capsules per day for those who have a compromised health situation such as GI issues, cancer, heart disease, allergies, cold or flu. Athletes may take 2 tsp as well.
The benefits of colostrum supplements is an interesting topic. If you believe it may benefit your health or athletic performance, speak to a health professional to seek their opinion. They will be able to explain the benefits and decide if it is a right fit for your needs.